My photo

People write diaries. Their diaries describe their personality. I write on my blog. It describes me way too well. :D
My writing takes me places my mind never wanted to go
Everyone writes. From the ink of their thoughts, by the pen of their mind on the page of their face. Everyone writes.I love to write. It is a passion; a compulsion; something that gives me an avenue to express myself. I write when I am happy; when I am sad or when an issue touches my heart. I find inspiration to write in every aspect of life.
This blog is dedicated to anything and everything that fills my thoughts and occupies cranial space

Friday, September 16, 2011

What India means to me....


                                            
To start off  I want to share an incident which I remember vividly and I would like to recall it.
It was 15th August,2009, 1:00 am in the night and I was in my hostel. I went to the bus-stand to get some wafers from a shop which was the only shop which remained open even after midnight. It was raining steadily. The guy came to my car, gave me wafers and offered me a cup of coffee .I took it and when I offered him money for it he denied saying that as it was Independence Day today he was celebrating it and giving coffee to all those who were coming to his shop
I was stunned.Here was this man, selling wafers, cigarettes, beedis and tea for a living. Making 2000 Rs a month,working in the wee hours of the night even in rains,months of december and january when the nights can be quite cruel, being snubbed by rich youngsters who came after midniht to buy cigarettes from him and often bashed up by the cops for keeping his shop open after midnight..and yet,he saw 15th August as a day to be celebrated,he felt proud to be an Indian and was happy to be an Indian even after all the hardships in his life.He was celebrating it by spending 50-60 rs which was quite a big amount for him and yet there was this smile on his face which reflected his love for his country
I was with my friend and both of us were speechless and both of us could just say INDIA IS GREAT
This incident is well etched in my memory and to me this is the spirit of INDIA which well and truly defines INDIA

  
I believe India has the potential to be the greatest country in the world because the people of this country are the greatest in the world..
I thought a lot on What India means to me…… What I thought cannot be described in these 1500 to 2000 words but I will try my best to prove What India Means To Me.
India….A sixty four year old history, a civilization that is the bed rock of modern world that we know, a country of peace loving people, a country that is the cynosure of all eyes, the biggest promise that the world has.....
On the other hand, politicians that treat the country as their personal fiefdom, a system in which nothing works, a place where a movie like Rang De Basanti inspires us, but the lathi charges at India Gate crush what ever aspirations you might have had for the country, a place where not merit but pull/contacts determines a man's worth, a country of a billion people, but all divided by caste, race and religion..... All this forced me to think that is Independence Day just another national holiday or do we really believe it's worth celebrating?
 64 years of Independence we have achieved a lot, but at the same time we fail to achieve many things, well that’s natural, no nation is perfect, and we the people of the nation have to make it perfect.
What we have achieved is---
We are finally been accepted by the world as humans (color difference is dying out; though still there), but will also end soon
We are no more snake charmers in the eyes of the world.
India is growing as a nation and our economy is all set to be among the largest
We are the largest Democracy in the world and among the few who are able to contain the military and judiciary. (Not like Pakistan with Military Cop). India has the third largest army in the world and the statue of Gandhi remains the central figure in the land and the icon of world peace.
We have good relations with most of the nations of the world
And now after the whole Lokpal Bill Episode, we re-learnt the power of non-violence, respect for sacrifice, and that cricket is not the only thing that can unite the country. The first movement the country witnessed after the independence that gathered the every section of the society, and lakhs of people all over the country gathered for a cause, and are able to achieve it with non- violence, what else needed?
 At the same time there are many failures also, some of  the failures are-
Though Zero was Invented but still one-fourth of the population is illiterate (I do not go by the definition given by the government)
Government claims that poverty is reduced from the country and now more people have access to the basic amenities, but take a nocturnal walk along the streets of your town and you will know the reality.
 In India girls are regarded as Goddess Lakshmi and are also treated as an Avaatar of Durga mata on the day of last navratra, but still female foeticide is highest in our country.
Though we are so called No.1 in IT services, we still lack IT in our own companies and offices, MNC banks are IT enabled but Indian banks are not.
India is considered as a land of many rivers, but still portable drinking water is a luxury in this country.
 We follow caste more than anything, we do what our caste leaders tell us to do; no rational thinking (Divide and Rule still prevails; BJP-Hindu, Shiv Sena -Marathas, Bhahujan Samaj Party (Mayawati)- Dalit, Samajwat Party- Yadavs, but Congress who gives these names to others claims is the only secular party of India b'coz they haven't forgotten the lesson given by Lady Mountbattien to J L Nehru of Divide and Rule.)
 Its an exciting phase to live in India, more so if you are the smart English speaking middle class. with our economy booming and countries abroad starting to relate us with talented intellectuals, India is poised to go on to become a great nation with an even greater heritage. Probably rather than cribbing about what we have not achieved, lets be proactive in bringing about a change. Lets be responsible citizens.
 Judicial system - FIRs are still registered only after you pay a fee to get them registered... A lawyer who is supposed to help you out, plays on both sides to fill his pockets, flexibility of law is directly propotional to the cash you have......
Political system - To change it you got to get in it... but most of us are happy complaining without participating... but I question why should a sane person participate...why should he try to change the system... to end up the way Manjunath did?
Education system - We have a mid day meal scheme to attract children to school, but most of the money is diverted to other funds , children are given sub standard food. There is lack of involvement of women in every walk of life.... they still are burnt and raped in villages and cities alike....

IT - Let's talk about the thing that has made us known all over the world...I will not say that we are doing what the Americans dont want to... but I would like to point out that how is it that we suddenly became good.. what was it that the Govt did to make this possible..and the answer is nothing!!! the optical cables were not put in place by us, the return of the IT crowd post the boom was not designed by us, the low cost factor was not identified by us... it just happened without any Govt interventation...and maybe that was the best part.
If you live in a free country and yet cannot leave it in any direction because those surrounding you are not free, then are you really free or in a prison with rights and liberty with no where to go? Think on this.
If my blunt comments have hurt anybody's sentiments please note these words were meant to challenge them.
Even after all this I am Proud to be a Bhartiya.
This is what India means to me.
 
JAI HIND



4 comments:

  1. Wow... what an incident recounted And a great post....Glad to see you back for good on blogging......

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been tagged here : http://jojofeelings.wordpress.com/2011/11/25/award-from-me/

    ReplyDelete
  3. U definitely deserve pat on ur back👍 Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

I guess, you liked this post..because you read until here, soooo long...:)
So let me know also, by leaving a comment so that i can pat myself on my back....;)